Sabina Nessa. Picture: Metropolitan Police
A suspect has been charged with the murder of primary school teacher Sabina Nessa, who was found dead in a park on her way to meet a friend.
Koci Selamaj, 36, was arrested in Eastbourne, East Sussex, in the early hours of yesterday morning and charged on Monday.
Sabina Nessa was attacked while walking through a park near her home in Kidbrooke, south east London, on Friday September 17.
The 28-year-old teacher was supposed to be meeting a friend for a drink at The Depot bar not far from the park, but never turned up.
She left her home just before 8:30pm and walked through Cator Park - a journey which should have taken no more than five minutes.
Her body was discovered at around 5:30pm the next day by a dog walker near the One Space community centre, according to residents.
Selamaj will appear at Willesden Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
Earlier today forensic officers were seen at a property in the seaside town.
A spokesman for the Met Police said: “A man has been charged with the murder of 28-year-old Sabina Nessa in Kidbrooke on Friday, September 17.
“Koci Selamaj, of Terminus Road, Eastbourne was charged on Monday, September 27. He will appear at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on September 28.
“Selamaj was arrested in Eastbourne, East Sussex in the early hours of Sunday, before being taken into police custody.”
Two other men - aged 38 and 41 - who were arrested by police investigating the Ms Nessa’s death have been released under investigation, Scotland Yard said.
Lisa Ramsarran, deputy chief crown prosecutor of the London Homicide Unit in CPS London North, confirmed a charge had been authorised for Selamaj today.
She said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has authorised the Metropolitan Police Service to charge Koci Selamaj, 36, with one count of murder. The charge relates to the murder of 28-year-old primary school teacher Sabina Nessa in Kidbrooke, south east London, on Friday, September 17.
“The CPS London Homicide Unit authorised the charge following a review of a file of evidence received from the Metropolitan Police Service.
“The defendant’s first court appearance will take place on September 28.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.
“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”