Harvey Weinstein: Hollywood producer to be charged with indecent assaults in London from 1996

Detectives have been authorised to issue the charges for Harvey Weinstein, which relate to alleged offences against one woman, who is now aged in her 50s, in August 1996.

Ex-Hollywood movie mogul Harvey Weinstein is set to be charged with two counts of indecent assault on a woman in London in 1996.

The Met Police will charge the 70-year-old former film producer, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has confirmed.

Sign up to our LondonWorld Today newsletter

Former film producer Harvey Weinstein. Photo: Getty

Detectives have been authorised to issue the charges, which relate to alleged offences against one woman, who is now aged in her 50s, in August 1996.

Rosemary Ainslie, head of the CPS special crime division, said charges had been authorised following a “review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation”.

She said: "The CPS reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”

The two offences of indecent assault, are contrary to section 14(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 1956, and allegedly took place between July 31 and August 31.

The Met Police said it has updated all those whose allegations formed part of this investigation.