Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale wants to fight for the number one spot
Aaron Ramsdale relishing competition with Bernd Leno for number one position.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Goalkeeper Ramsdale made his home debut against Norwich over the weekend and kept a clean sheet, helping the Gunners to a 1-0 victory.
That was manager Mikel Arteta’s first league win of the season and lifted the team from bottom of the table and out of the relegation zone.
Bernd Leno has been the safest pair of hands at the club for the last two seasons but Ramsdale’s performance has caught the eye of his manager who now has a decision to make when they travel to Burnley next weekend.
What was said after the game
“I don’t know what the manager is going to do,” said the 23-year-old.
“This might have just been a tactical tweak, so it is my responsibility to force him to carry on picking me, which is something I have to do on a daily basis.
“Me and Bernd will be very competitive in a good way, healthy and hopefully I can stay in the team.
“You have got to be ready to play as a goalkeeper, you have to be a fighter. You don’t know when anything is going to happen. I’m ready every week.
“So now we have got to continue the competitiveness on the training ground and I’ve got to try and stay in the team and help them. There is a lot to carry on going and we will see where it takes us this season.”
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta also said: “He was terrific, not only what he did on the technical side but what he transmits, his chemistry with the back line, his body language.”
Five facts about Aaron Ramsdale at a glance
- Ramsdale is a West Bromwich Albion fan and grew up idolising Ben Foster
- Ramsdale was the third choice goalkeeper for England at the Euro 2020 tournament.
- Ramsdale began his career at Newcastle-under-Lyme based club Mash Town in 2014.
- Ramsdale made his Premier League debut at Bournemouth during the 2019/2020 season.
- Ramsdale was named Sheffield United’s Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year.
Five facts about Bernd Leno at a glance
- Leno grew up idolising former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.
- Leno joined Arsenal in June 2018 for a reported fee of £22.5 million, signing a five year contract.
- Leno made his Arsenal debut in a 4-2 victory over Vorskla Poltava in the Europa League.
- Leno is married to his long term girlfriend Sophie Christin
- Leno was the runner up of the Arsenal Player of the season award in the 2019–20 season.