Tube Strikes 2022: First 24-hour Metropolitan line walk out suspended after ‘significant progress’ in talks

The RMT union confirmed on Wednesday that strike action that had been planned on the Metropolitan line from 11.30am  on January 20 to 11.29am on January 21 will not go ahead.

A 24-hour driver walk-out planned for the Metropolitan line today has been suspended after “significant progress” made in talks.

The RMT union confirmed on Wednesday that strike action that had been planned from 11.30am  on January 20 to 11.29am on January 21 will not go ahead.

Sign up to our LondonWorld Today newsletter

Lee Stewart, head of Metropolitan line operations, said: “We welcome the news that the RMT yesterday suspended their strike action at Neasden depot proposed for this week.

“We are committed to treating our staff in a fair and consistent way and talks with the RMT will continue in the hope that the dispute can be resolved and that further planned strike action will also be suspended.”

A spokesperson for RMT said: “We have made significant progress in our talks with London Underground bosses which has enabled us to suspend our planned strike action on the Metropolitan line today.”

A second 24-hour walk-out has been planned for from 11.30am on February 10 to 11.29am on February 11.

Night Tube strikes

Strike action on the Night Tube is still expected to continue through to the summer.

This will impact the Victoria and Central lines from 7pm every Friday and Saturday through up till June 19.

The Night Tube is returning, it has been confirmed.

The union says that TfL should hire additional drivers to cover overnight shifts on the weekend, while the transport body has said that they will only have to work four night-shift weekends per year, and can swap shifts.

Andy Lord, managing director of London Underground, said: “We’re disappointed that, once again, the RMT is continuing to push for strike action that is likely to cause further unnecessary disruption.

“We’re calling on the RMT to join us for talks so we can work together to resolve this dispute around roster changes, which mean no job losses and greater flexibility for drivers.

“If these six months of action do go ahead, we will continue to operate as regular a service as possible

“However, customers are advised to check before they travel and use buses to complete their journeys where required.

“I apologise to them for the impact this unnecessary action will have on their journeys.”