Tube strike: London Underground workers to walk out on August 19 ... the day after RMT national rail strike

The latest Tube strike - announced by RMT - will come in between two national rail strikes organised by the union.

London Underground workers have threatened to strike on August 19 - the day between two national rail strikes are expected to brings trains across the country to a halt.

The threat of industrial action will compound misery for London’s commuters, who have been hit by transport strikes for the last three months.

The previous Tube strike in June affected every London Underground line, with most being significantly suspended.

Members of the RMT Union - which is organising the national rail strikes - are threatening to walk out for being allegedly cut out of negotiations between Transport for London, mayor Sadiq Khan and the government.

There will be six Tube lines affected over the Easter weekend. Credit: Leon Neal/Getty Images

Mr Khan and TfL have been negotiating with the Department for Transport about a long-term funding settlement, with the mayor announcing a breakthrough earlier this week.

Now RMT has accused TfL of refusing to share details of the “draft government proposal they received regarding funding of the transport system in the capital, in secret and without any discussion with their recognised trade unions”.

Sadiq Khan has denied promising “zero days” of Tube strikes. Photo: Getty

It added the London Underground and TfL management have “consistently refused to engage in discussions around safeguarding jobs, pensions and conditions on the spurious grounds that they are unable to give any assurances to our members until they have a financial settlement with the government”.

General secretary Mick Lynch said: “Our members will once again take to picket lines in this important dispute over pensions, jobs and conditions.

“They have been messed around by TfL and mayor Sadiq Khan. And to add insult to injury they have not seen the detail of this funding letter from government.

“Unless there can be assurances made about jobs, pensions and detrimental changes to working conditions, then our strike on August 19 will go ahead.”

Mick Lynch, secretary-general of the RMT, outside King’s Cross station. Credit: Hollie Adams/Getty Images

The RMT says it has given TfL until August 2 to give following assurances:

  • There will be no reduction in jobs.
  • There will be no detrimental changes to our pensions.
  • There will be no changes to working conditions imposed.

LondonWorld has contacted TfL and Sadiq Khan for comment.

More to follow.