Ilford woman, 23, was ‘wailing’ in pain moments after eating deadly ‘cannabis sweet’, shocked neighbours said

Police have launched an urgent investigation after a 23-year-old woman died from eating what she thought was a cannabis sweet, with fears a bad batch could be circulating.

The 23-year-old woman, who died after eating what she thought was a cannabis sweet, was left “wailing” in pain moments after eating the gummy, neighbours have said.

The Ilford resident had ordered the sweets off a messaging app to her house on March 29, however she and a pal, 21, quickly fell ill after eating one.

Emergency services, including the police, air ambulance and Hazardous Area Response Team were scrambled to the house in South Park Drive at 11.30pm that night, and shocked neighbours told LondonWorld of the harrowing scene which unfolded.

South Park Drive, Ilford.

Several aghast residents described seeing the woman surrounded by paramedics in hazmat suits.

A male neighbour - who wished to remain anonymous - said: “At around midnight, I heard a girl wailing and saw her surrounded by emergency services in hazmat suits.

“We were led to believe that it was a chemical leak.”

Both women were taken to an east London hospital, with Scotland Yard at the time saying they were “unwell” and one woman was in a “life-threatening condition”.

The 23-year-old woman tragically died in hospital on Saturday, with the friend discharged after undergoing treatment.

“The police asked to see my CCTV cameras to possibly hunt down the supplier,” the neighbour explained.

“It’s very sad she lost her life.”

The scene at the emergency services incident in South Park Drive, Ilford. Credit: IG1_IG2

Another person explained: “I saw the girl being taken into an ambulance at midnight.

“The community only found out the cause of death in recent days.”

Another female neighbour described her as a very “nice” and “pleasant” girl.

She said she was very shocked and saddened to hear the news: “They were just new in the area, I heard the ambulances at around midnight and was very sad to find out who it was.”

Police cars outside the address in South Park Drive, Ilford. Credit: IG1_IG2

A family nearby said that they only heard the news of her passing yesterday through word of mouth.

“We saw an ambulance and fire brigade but were unsure of the cause until now,” a woman said.

The Met said the woman’s identity is not being released at this time.

A special post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.

Police are also carrying out tests on sweets which were recovered - which had “Trrlli Peachie O’s” branding.

The “gummies” were thought be laced with a synthetic form of Class B drug cannabis (Photo: Adobe)

Detectives are urgently trying to identify any other cases where Londoners have become seriously unwell after eating cannabis sweets, gummies and similar products.

Scotland Yard said officers are aware of one potentially linked case, in which a woman was taken unwell earlier in March after eating a cannabis sweet in Tower Hamlets.

She was taken to hospital and later discharged. Enquiries are ongoing to establish whether this sweet was part of the batch of sweets associated with the Ilford death.

Leon Brown, 37, of Albert Road, Norwood was arrested on Friday, and has been charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.

He appeared in custody at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday where he was remanded to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Tuesday May 3.

Ch Supt Stuart Bell, who polices Redbridge borough, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.

“Please do not buy or consume these products.

“They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.

“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’ branding.

“It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.

“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals.

“We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”

Anyone with information about people selling illegal products such as these is asked to speak with local officers, call police on 101 or, to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers.