UK space scientist honoured with own Barbie Doll ahead of International Women’s Day 2023
Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock is one of seven women named as a Barbie Inspiration ahead of International Women’s Day
and live on Freeview channel 276
UK space scientist Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock has been honoured with her very own Barbie Doll. She is one of a range of leading women who has been given the honour by toy company Mattel ahead of International Women’s Day 2023.
Dr Aderin-Pocock is best known for presenting BBC One’s The Sky at Night and CBeebies Stargazing. She was also named as chancellor at the University of Leicester earlier this month and has been named as one of seven Barbie role models.
On receiving the honour of the doll Dr Aderin-Pocock, who is from London, said: "I hope my doll will remind girls that when you reach for the stars, anything is possible."
Lisa McKnight, executive vice president and Global Head of Barbie & Dolls, Mattel said: “Barbie is dedicated to showcasing women who are role models from all backgrounds, professions, and nationalities so that girls around the world can see themselves in careers that might not always seem as accessible.
“STEM is a field where women are severely underrepresented, and our hope is that honouring these seven leaders in science and technology will encourage girls to follow their passion in this field. This International Women’s Day, we’re proud to continue our work in closing the Dream Gap and reminding girls of their limitless potential.”
Who else has been honoured with a Barbie doll?
The full global lineup being honoured with one-of-a-kind Barbie dolls made in their likeness includes:
- Susan Wojcicki (United States): Longtime YouTube CEO
- Anne Wojcicki (United States): Co- Founder and CEO of 23andME
- Janet Wojcicki (United States): Professor of Pediatrics and Epidemiology at the University of California, San Francisco
- Katya Echazarreta (Mexico): Electrical Engineer and Science Show Host
- Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock (United Kingdom): Space Scientist and Science Educator
- Prof Dr Antje Boetius (DE): Marine Researcher and Microbiologist
- Yinuo Li (China): Co-Founder of ETU Education