ULEZ: Police investigating video of protester claiming to have torn down dozens of cameras
and live on Freeview channel 276
In a foul-mouthed rant, the vandal videos a collection of what appear to be ULEZ cameras in a shed, which he claims he removed in half a day.
A spokesperson for the mayor, Sadiq Khan, said while people are entitled to opposition, “causing criminal damage is never acceptable”.
The Met Police has confirmed it is aware of the video, and that it is being investigated as part of its Operation Eremon, a proactive operation launched specifically into allegations of criminality related to damage to ULEZ cameras.
Detective Superintendent Daniel Smith, whose officers are leading the investigations, said: “We are continuing to proactively target anyone we suspect of causing or seeking to cause damage to these cameras.
“We are now reviewing this social media post and will follow up every line of investigation.”
Two men have previously been charged with offences including criminal damage to ULEZ cameras.
Several protests have been held in opposition to the scheme’s expansion, after the mayor announced it would grow incorporate the whole of greater London from August 29 this year. Anyone driving non-compliant vehicles in the zone will be liable to pay the £12.50 daily charge.
Responding to the video, a spokesperson for the mayor said: “People are of course entitled to show their opposition to policies peacefully and lawfully. But causing criminal damage is never acceptable. The Met are investigating incidences of ULEZ camera vandalism and arrests have been made.”
Mr Khan recently announced an extension to his scrappage scheme from the end of July, enabling more Londoners having to transition to a cleaner vehicle to apply for financial support.
The mayor’s office has said nine in ten vehicles seen driving in outer London are already compliant. However, data compiled by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), which looked at vehicles registered to outer London homes, suggested otherwise, with boroughs such as Harrow and Sutton instead recording 83% of vehicles as compliant.
A judicial review into the expansion is due to be heard at the High Court next month, which, if successful, would derail the scheme and suck millions of pounds from TfL’s budget for 2023/24.