Watch: 'It has to be safe' say Londoners after Wimbledon TfL bus fire

A TfL electric bus burst into flames in a busy Wimbledon street last week - and some of the vehicles have been temporarily withdrawn from service.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

After a bus caught fire in Wimbledon last Thursday (January 11), some electric vehicles have been temporarily withdrawn.

A spokesperson for a mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, confirmed the vehicles operated by Go Ahead have been suspended from use on the Transport for London (TfL) network. Other vehicles across the fleet made by Switch Mobility are being checked "as a matter of urgency".

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the video above, LondonWorld asked Londoners how they feel about safety on London transport.

Jan said: "A little bit uneasy, but you just have to trust that the proper maintenance is taking place and that the proper contracts are in place. It's a case of 'they're here to stay' so you have to trust that the process is robust enough."

Kako told us he would still use buses, while Kyle said: "If it's your only method of transport, you just have to take the gamble really."

Brendan said: "Obviously, we have to transition to better and greener technology but it has to be safe. So they need to put the work in to make sure it's safe."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A spokesperson for the mayor said last week: “Safety is TfL’s top priority. As a precautionary measure, TfL have temporarily withdrawn from service the fleet of buses that normally operate on route 200 and all buses made by this relevant manufacturer will be checked thoroughly as a matter of urgency. The mayor is assured that TfL is working with the operator and the relevant bus manufacturer to urgently investigate what happened.”