Liverpool Street: Bishopsgate pub drinkers and residents removed after carbon monoxide leak
“You can’t taste, see or smell carbon monoxide fumes, but it can kill in minutes.”
and live on Freeview channel 276
A pub and a neighbouring flat were evacuated due to a carbon monoxide leak in the City of London.
A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said three people were evacuated from a flat - and that a further 50 to 100 people from a pub and neighbouring flats were asked to stand outside a 25 metre cordon as a precaution.
There were no reports of injuries.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters attended, using specialist equipment to carry out a sweep of the building to check for elevated readings of chemical substances.
They isolated the gas supply and crews ensured no elevated readings remained before leaving the scene.
London Fire Brigade
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “You can't taste, see or smell CO (carbon monoxide) fumes, but it can kill in minutes.
"It's really important to fit a CO alarm in all rooms containing fuel burning appliances, ensuring that the alarm is able to be heard throughout the property.
“When sleeping, it is important that your alarm would wake you if it sounds.
"It’s also a good idea to familiarise yourself with the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and learn what to do if you suspect someone may be affected.”
The brigade was called at 1.43pm and the incident was over for firefighters by 4.27pm.
Crews from Shoreditch, Bethnal Green, Islington and Euston fire stations attended.
Carbon monoxide (CO)
CO poisoning symptoms:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide and pets
The symptoms can also be experienced by pets, so the brigade recommends keeping an eye out for them.
Among humans, poisoning symptoms can be confused with simply feeling unwell, leading to CO poisoning being missed.