Watch: The moment a Brixton man sprays a police officer in Merton with a corrosive substance then draws gun

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
James Boyle admitted spraying the officer, as well as using a firearm with intent and possessing a knife and an axe.

Body worn camera footage shows the moment ammonia was sprayed in the face of a police officer by a man who then drew a gun.

James Boyle, 22 of Pulross Road, Brixton, was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment at Kingston Crown Court on Monday (March 13) having pleaded guilty to seven offences.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Shortly after midnight on June 17 last year, police were called to reports of people acting suspiciously around parked vehicles on Commonside East, Mitcham.

Met Police officer PC Samuel Goard approached a man and attempted to speak to him, asking him to take his hands out of his pockets.

Boyle pulled out a bottle and sprayed the officer in the face with ammonia before moving toward him.

Despite only being able to see out of one eye, Pc Goard managed to use his PAVA spray, causing Boyle to turn and flee.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

PC Goard said in his victim impact statement: “At the time of the incident I was in complete fear for my life. I did not know what the male had sprayed at me.

“Thoughts of acid, ammonia or any liquid that could have caused me irreversible injuries to my eye, sight, or permanent disfigurement to my face overcame me.

“My thoughts turned to my son at home, was he going to grow up only knowing me as having a disfigured face, will he recognise me when I go home?”

PC Goard was joined by PC George Garner and the video shows them chasing Boyle on foot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

As they did so, Boyle pulled out a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at them before escaping.

James BoyleJames Boyle
James Boyle | MPS

Police investigation

Detectives used CCTV to identify Boyle and he was arrested on June 24, when they found him with a knife and an axe in his rucksack, along with a drinks bottle containing ammonia.

During a search of his home, a grey tracksuit top was found which was identical to the one worn by Boyle in the officers’ body worn video footage.

Investigators found that the gun Boyle used to threaten officers had been fired before police arrived, and live rounds of ammunition were recovered. The ammunition and the bottle containing the liquid both provided forensic matches to Boyle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

PC Garner said in his impact statement: “When he pulled the gun on me I felt powerless and had to let him run away. I was left with the same recurring thought: If it was so easy to point a gun at a police officer what would he do to a member of the public?

“I returned to work the day after the incident. I love my job and didn’t want what happened to affect me or make me fearful, but it is a terrifying reminder that the most routine call could end up being something that could change my life or the lives of my loved ones forever.”

James Boyle’s axe.James Boyle’s axe.
James Boyle’s axe. | MPS

On November 11, Boyle pleaded guilty to administering a poison or noxious substance with intent; possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence; using a firearm with intent; assault (actual bodily harm); possession of a bladed article (knife); possession of a bladed article (axe); having a corrosive substance in a public place.

James Boyle’s knife, which was found by police.James Boyle’s knife, which was found by police.
James Boyle’s knife, which was found by police. | MPS

Met Police

Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Woodsford, from Specialist Crime, said: “Boyle is an extremely dangerous offender and we are pleased that the overwhelming evidence gathered during our investigation left him with no choice but to plead guilty.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We have no doubt that he would have caused further harm was he not identified and arrested so quickly.

“My thoughts remain with the officers involved in this incident who are fortunate not to have suffered lasting injury. Police officers routinely put themselves in harm’s way but no one should have to come home from work having been assaulted in the course of their duty.”

Violent crime

DCI Woodsford added: “Tackling violent crime is one of our top priorities and this includes those who assault our staff.

“Abuse of emergency workers is never acceptable and we will always deal robustly with offences of this nature.”