Clapham attack: Body recovered from River Thames believed to be Abdul Ezedi

Abdul Ezedi was wanted for a brutal attack on a mother and her children in Clapham.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Detectives leading the manhunt for Abdul Ezedi, wanted for a corrosive substance attack on a mother and her children in Clapham, believe his body has been recovered from the River Thames.

At around 4pm on Monday February 19, the crew of a passing boat reported they had seen a body in the water at Tower Pier.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The body was recovered by the Met’s Marine Policing Unit and has been viewed by detectives working on the investigation. Police have not formally identified the body.

Officers spent more than a week hunting for Ezedi, 35, who was believed to have carried out the attack in Lessar Avenue on January 31. 

Scotland Yard believes Ezedi went into the River Thames at Chelsea Bridge, some four hours after the alkaline attack, based on CCTV footage.

Commander Jon Savell said: "Based on the distinctive clothing he was wearing at the time of the attack and property found on his body, we strongly believe we have recovered the body of Ezedi.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"We have been in contact with his family to pass on the news.

“As you may expect after a considerable period of time in the strong current of the Thames, formal identification is not possible visually, nor from fingerprints. We will work with the coroner on other ways to complete formal identification, such as DNA testing and dental records. That may take some time."

Police said the 31-year-old female victim’s condition has improved. 

“She remains in hospital but she is in a stable condition and no longer sedated. We have still not been able to speak to her but hope to as soon as she is well enough,” said Commander Savell.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A 22-year-old man was arrested on February 5 on suspicion of assisting an offender. He was taken into custody and later released on bail pending further enquiries.

There have been no more arrests and police say the investigation continues.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.