Pundits’ weekend predictions: Pain for Palace and West Ham but joy for Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs

A round-up of how the experts believe the results will go this coming weekend with a full round of Premier League games ahead.

We’re into round 28 of the Premier League with some teams still to play catch-up with games in hand.

And it could be an important weekend with West Ham facing a tough game at Anfield, and Arsenal heading to resurgent Watford.

Here’s what is predicted by the experts and also by FiveThirtyEight’s highly-acclaimed mathematical algorithms.

After this weekend, just 10 rounds remain of the 2021/22 season, except for those with extra matches to fit in, as Manchester City close on back-to-back titles and a sixth league win.

Reece James of Chelsea in action during the Premier League match (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)

Burnley vs Chelsea

Lawro predicts an away win, but only just: 0-1.

He told the BBC Sport website that: “Off the pitch, Chelsea’s future is uncertain after Roman Abramovich put the club up for sale but I don’t think that will affect the players much.

“This is awkward-looking game for them, but then so was their trip to Luton in the FA Cup.”

Sky Sports meanwhile suggest that a 0-2 win is coming, going for that extra goal.

The US mathematical boffins? They say a 57% chance of a Chelsea win over Burnley and an 18% chance of a home win, with a 25% chance of a draw.

Wilfried Zaha celebrates with teammate James McArthur of Crystal Palace after scoring . (Photo by Paul Harding/Getty Images)

Wolves vs Crystal Palace

It’ll be another home win according to pundit Lawro, who predicts a 2-1 score.

“This will be close, because Palace are always very competitive too, but I’m going with Wolves to edge it,” said the former Liverpool defender on the game.

But Sky’s tipster Lewis Jones says that this could be a third game without a win for Wolves. He predicts a 1-1 draw instead.

FiveThirtyEight say a 42% chance of a home win, a 28% chance of an away win and a 30% opportunity of both sides gaining a point.

Liverpool vs West Ham

It’s perhaps no surprise that former Red Lawrenson sees a 2-0 home win in this game.

“The problem for the Hammers, however, is that they have to keep asking the same players to get them results, every week,” he said.

“As we’ve seen, Liverpool have got the squad now to rest players and still get the outcome they want.”

It could be a tough afternoon ahead for Moyes and co, although they won the corresponding fixture at the London Stadium 3-2 back in November.

And Sky Sports don’t deviate from what Lawro says, with another 2-0 win suggested.

Look away now, West Ham fans. You have just an 9% chance of a win on Merseyside, with a 76% Liverpool win chance. The draw is at 15%.

Watford vs Arsenal

The joy will come for the visitors here, according to the BBC Sport tipster.

A 1-2 win for the Gunners is predicted, with praise heaped on the work that their manager is doing at the Emirates.

Lawro said: “Mikel Arteta’s side have found the knack for winning games when they don’t play well or things go against them, which is down to the manager - he has made them a team again.”

Sky Sports also see an Arsenal win, but at 2-0 instead.

It’s just a 17% chance of a home win, but a 60% one for an away. The draw is rated at a 23% shot.

Tottenham vs Everton

A home win for Spurs is set to round off the weekend for Lawro, who sees a 2-0 victory on the horizon.

But he doesn’t sound too confident, citing Spurs’ inconsistency: “They are at home and with Everton’s poor form on their travels I am going with a Spurs win, but I am not exactly confident that is what will happen.”

Meanwhile, FiveThirtyEight say a 58% possibility of Antonio Conte’s team doing the business, and a 20% chance of Frank Lampard’s side doing it, with the draw slightly more likely at 22%.