A 21-year-old woman stabbed to death in an alleyway has been named, as police have made what they describe as a “very significant” arrest.
The Polish national was found with stab wounds in an alleyway off Church Gardens, Ealing, and pronounced dead at the scene.
A 20-year-old man was arrested but released with no further action, but police have now detained a 29-year-old.
Police say the victim and new suspect were known to each other.
Homicide detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command are continuing with their investigation.
Officers are speaking with Ania’s next of kin and they are being supported by specialist officers.
Det Ch Insp Brian Howie, who is leading the investigation, said: “We have now made a second arrest, which we believe is a very significant one in this investigation.
“The victim and suspect were known to each other.
“We are examining CCTV and speaking to any witnesses who have come forward.
“However, we are always keen to hear from anyone else who has not yet spoken to us but who thinks they may have seen or heard anything, no matter how small, that could help.”
And Det Ch Insp Howie in particular urged anyone who was in South Ealing Road, between 11.15pm on Monday, May 16, and 1am on Tuesday, May 17, to check CCTV, doorbell camera or dash cam footage for anything “out of the ordinary”.
The shocking attack has left residents of the quiet Ealing cul-de-sac shaken.
Neighbour Yvonne Armstrong claimed that there had been previous police incidents in the park area by the alleyway.
The 81-year-old said: “It’s so sad this has happened to such a young girl.
“Incidents like this have occurred in the past, a girl who got off the train was followed through the park before.
“The area used to not be lit but we asked for lights to be put in and they were.
“We however asked for a camera and they said it was too expensive.”
A 21-year-old woman - who lives in the house closest to where the attack reportedly took place - said the incident had left her “shaken up”.
“The girl was the same age as me and it makes me feel less safe,” she told LondonWorld.
“I feel quite shaken up by this news.
“I don’t walk around that area at night.”
Ch Supt Sean Wilson, who is in charge of policing for west London, said: “This is a tragic incident that I know has come as a shock to the local community.
“Officers remain at the scene as our searches and forensic examinations continue. We will also have additional visible patrols in the local area tonight and in the coming days.
“We are grateful to those who live and work nearby for their support and understanding as we continue our work. We recognise the inconvenience it has caused.
“Where possible we have taken steps to allow businesses and other venues such as the local church to reopen as soon as our investigation allowed.
“I am particularly mindful of the proximity of this incident to a local school – something which meant the school had to remain closed on Tuesday.
“I know parents will be apprehensive and I’d like to reassure them that we are working with the school to make sure children can continue their learning with minimal disruption. We anticipate it will be able to reopen from Wednesday morning.
“If anyone in the community has concerns I would encourage them to speak to an officer, contact their neighbourhood policing team or call the non-emergency number on 101.”
Information can be provided by calling 101 or by calling Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111. The reference for the incident is 77/17MAY.