Croydon stabbings: Section 60 stop and search powers granted after stabbings and ‘shooting’

Three separate incidents took place in the Croydon area on Monday.

A Section 60 order was put in place by the Met Police after a series of stabbings in Croydon on Monday (March 20).

Four arrests were made and three individuals were taken to hospital in a busy night for emergency services, with gunshots also being reported in Cudham Drive.

A Section 60 order grants police additional stop and search powers, and was in place from 7.15pm on Monday to 6am on Tuesday, March 21.

These can only be sanctioned by someone who ranks as an inspector or above, and last for a maximum of 24 hours.

Elmwood Road, Croydon

An 18-year-old man was found with stab injuries on Elmwood Road, Croydon, after police attended the scene after a call at around 4.15pm on Monday.

He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service in a critical but stable condition.

Two men, both aged 18, were arrested nearby on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and remain in police custody.

Church Street, Croydon

Two boys, both aged 13, were found with stab injuries after a fight broke out between a large group on Church Street on Monday.

Police were called to the scene at 5.25pm and arrested two boys, one 13 and the other 14-years-old. The younger was held on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and affray, with the older arrested on suspicion of affray.

The two stab victims were taken to hospital with their conditions assessed as “not life-threatening”.

A spokesperson for London Ambulance said they “sent an ambulance crew, two paramedics in fast response cars, an advanced paramedic and an incident response officer” to the scene on Church Street.

Cudham Drive, Croydon

Police were called to Cudham Drive at around 9.50pm on Monday after reports of a group of people were damaging a vehicle with weapons.

There were further reports that a man had been stabbed after a firearm discharged.

Specialist firearms officers attended the scene and found a man with a minor cut to his hand.

No arrests have been made but the Met Police said “enquiries are ongoing”.

Met Police

Superintendent Mitch Carr, South Area Command Unit, said: “Croydon residents will rightly be concerned at this spate of unacceptable and shocking violent incidents. We of course share that concern and are doing everything we can to identify and bring to justice the perpetrators.”

He added: “A number of people remain in police custody. At this stage in our enquires there is no information to suggest any link between them. They are all being treated as isolated incidents.

“We do not and will not tolerate violence on our streets. Local people can expect to see an enhanced policing presence across the borough, and anyone who has information that could assist us with these investigations is encouraged to report it immediately.”